Club premises certificates



Find out more about:

Club Premises Certificates

Club premises certificates are authorisations needed by clubs to carry on certain activities, such as selling alcohol to members and their guests.

What do I need a Club Premises Certificate for?

If you are applying for a licence for a club, you will need a Club Premises Certificate for the following activities:

  • the supply of alcohol
  • the provision of regulated entertainment.

Do I need a Premises Licence as well as a Club Premises Certificate?

A club can have a Premises Licence instead of, or as well as, a Club Premises Certificate. The advantage of having a Premises Licence is that members of the public may be admitted to take part in licensable activities, instead of just members and guests. There is an annual fee for both types of licence. Please follow these instructions on How to pay for a Premises Licence.

Qualifying clubs may apply for a Club Premises Certificate instead of a Premises Licence. This offers several benefits, including not having to nominate a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) or have a Personal Licence holder for the sale or supply of alcohol. 

A qualifying club:

  • has a constitution and a set of club rules
  • has a minimum of 25 members
  • only supplies alcohol to, or on behalf of, a member
  • must have a 48 hour waiting period for membership
  • is managed by a committee.

It is now possible for community, church, chapel and village halls to apply to remove the conditions in which it states that they must have a Designated Premises Supervisor(DPS) who is a Personal Licence holder to authorise every supply of alcohol.  They can replace it by naming the management committee as responsible for the supply of alcohol. 

Do I need to pay an annual fee for a Club Premises Certificate?

You may have to pay an annual fee for your Club Premises Certificate.  Please follow these instructions on How to pay for a Premises Licence for your application

If the annual fee is not paid your Club Premises Certificate will be suspended until the payment has been paid. This means you will not be able to open to provide licensable activities. Carrying out unlicensed licensable activities carries a penalty of an unlimited fine and up to six months imprisonment on conviction.

How do I apply for a Club Premises Certificate?

You must complete:

If posting or handing in the application form(s) (except minor variations) at our reception you are required to also serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the Responsible Authorities on the same day as the application is given to us. If the application is submitted electronically, we will provide copies to the Responsible Authorities. We can only accept applications for premises within our Local authority area .

Do you buy alcohol for onward sale or supply from a UK wholesaler?

Any business buying alcohol from a UK wholesaler for onward supply to their customers will need to check that their wholesaler has been approved by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) under the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS). For further information see the HM Revenue and Customs factsheet

Opening times

Day Times
Monday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Wednesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Thursday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Friday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641951
Minicom: 01332 640666
Fax: 01332 643299
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street