Premises licences and club premises certificates



Find out more about:

Do you buy alcohol for onward sale or supply from a UK wholesaler?

Any business buying alcohol from a UK wholesaler for onward supply to their customers will need to check that their wholesaler has been approved by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) under the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS). For further information see the HM Revenue and Customs factsheet.

Standard Conditions for Places of Public Entertainment and licences

Premises which held a 'Public Entertainment Licence' were subject to the 'Standard Conditions for Places of Public Entertainment'.

When these licences were converted to a 'Premises Licence' under the Licensing Act 2003, the 'Standard Conditions for Places of Public Entertainment' carried forward to the new licence unless a variation was granted to remove them.

If you would like a copy of these conditions, please contact us.

Will there be any Mandatory Conditions attached to my licence?

Yes, If you have the ‘sale’ or  ‘supply’ of alcohol on your premises licence or club premises certificate these mandatory conditions will be added to your licence.

Yes, If you have ‘an exhibition of a film’ on your premises licence or club premises certificate these Exhibition of films - mandatory conditions will be added to your licence.

When any new mandatory conditions become law, they will apply to your licence and will be enforceable even if they are not actually written on the licence.

Please see the Explanation of mandatory condition introduced on 6 April 2014.

Is there any information/guidance available on planning an event?

All events, including those in aid of charity, must meet recognised safety standards. An event organiser is responsible under the law for the safety of everyone at the event, including the public, employees and volunteers. Information and guidance on planning an event can be found on the Derbyshire Prepared website.

Will I need live music on my premises licence or club premises certificate?

On 1st October 2012 the Licensing Act 2003 was amended by the Live Music Act 2012.

From this date live music is suspended as regulated entertainment if:

  • there is a premises licence or club certificate permitting 'on sales'
  • the premises are open for the consumption on the premises
  • live music is taking place between 08.00 and 23.00

And  for:

  • if the live music is amplified the audience must consist of no more than 500.

Live music includes vocal and instrumental and karaoke singing.

The amendment also creates a general exemption that live unamplified music which takes place between 08.00 and 23.00, regardless of the size of the audience, shall NOT be classed as the provision of regulated entertainment.

Some specific types of premises or events hosted by certain organisations have other exemptions, these are outlined exemptions for premises licence and club premises certificates

What happens if more than 500 people attend a deregulated performance of dance and plays or more than 1000 attend an indoor sporting event?

This would be no longer deregulated activity and would require prior authorisation (for example a premises licence).

If my event includes two deregulated activities with different audience limits which audience limit must I comply with?

You must comply with the audience limits to the specific individual activities.

What happens if I anticipate an audience limit below the level at which I require a licence, but more people attend the event than expected?

An audience in excess of the limit would mean that the performance is a licensable activity. It would be an offence under the Licensing Act 2003 for such an event to continue without an appropriate licence. Where the organiser of an event can foresee that it might attract an audience of more than the prescribed limit and in circumstances where it may be difficult to restrict entry, then the event organiser should consider whether to obtain a licence, or giving a Temporary Event Notice, to avoid breaching licensing Laws.

Will local authorities check the numbers attending an event?

It would be up to organisers to determine how to ensure that audience numbers for their event do not exceed the maximum permitted. If an activity is licensable because the number of people in the audience exceeds statutory limits, it will be a criminal offence to carry on that activity without prior authorisation. You may need to apply for a premises licence or obtain a Temporary Event Notice.

Will deregulated events be safe for the public to watch?

Anyone involved in the organisation or provision of entertainment activities – whether or not any such activity is licensable – must comply with any applicable duties that may be imposed by other legislation for example crime and disorder, fire, health and safety, noise, nuisance and planning.

Objecting to licensing conditions and applications

If a premises has made a new licence application or wants to vary an existing licence and you are concerned about it, you may want to object. This process is called making a representation.

What can I make a representation about?

Under the Licensing Act 2003, representations may be made for:

  • a new Premises Licence
  • a variation of an existing Premises Licence
  • a new Club Premises Certificate
  • a variation of an existing Club Premises Certificate
  • review application of an existing Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate
  • vary of DPS (Police only).

Who can make a representation about a licensing condition?

Responsible authorities such as:

  • Police
  • Fire and Rescue
  • Local Planning Authority
  • Enforcing agency for health and safety
  • Enforcing agency for weights and measures
  • Child protection agency
  • Local Health Board
  • Licensing Authority
  • Environmental Protection
  • Home Office

And any other person.

How do I make a representation?

Representations must be made in writing to us and must be received during the representation period. 

The statutory representation period begins the day after a valid application is received by us and lasts for 28 days. During this time there must be at least one notice in the local paper and a notice displayed on the premises for 28 days. The application will also appear on the Current Applications page.

If representations are made against an application which cannot be resolved through mediation, then the application will be heard by our Licensing Committee. The hearing must be carried out within 20 working days ('working day' is any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a Bank Holiday) from the end of the consultation period.

An appeal process is available to the applicant and those who made representations to an application, if they are not satisfied with the decision of the licensing committee.

We issue a notice of the decision to the applicant and anyone who made relevant representations. Appeals can be made against new, variation and review applications. 

Any appeal must be lodged at the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the date the applicant was informed of the committee's decision. 

What do I need to include in a representation?

Representations (objections) must relate to the likely effects of granting the licence on one or more of the following four licensing objectives:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm
  • public safety.

If a representation or request does not relate to one of these objectives it will be deemed invalid. Representations must, therefore, link to one or more of the objectives.

Representations and requests must not be 'vexatious' or 'frivolous', or the licensing authority will not consider them. This means anything that is trivial, isn't serious or is just meant to be annoying. For example, we might find that representation was vexatious if it was lodged because of a dispute between rival businesses or it might be a frivolous representation if it plainly lacked seriousness.

Relevant representations could be of a personal nature, and should reflect how such an application could, or would affect you and your family's normal life. 

An example concerning the public nuisance objective could be the possibility of regulated entertainment disturbing sleep, especially those of young children, or family members who work shifts or reflect the simple intrusion into family life.

Supporting evidence

It will help if your objections are specific to the premises and you have evidence to support this. You may wish to document problems by keeping a diary with dates and times of specific problems, or by taking photographs of any incidents.

If the matter goes to a hearing the Councillors at the hearing will need to be satisfied that there is an evidential link between the representations made and the effect on the licensing objectives.

Important things to consider

Any relevant representations that are received will be included in a report to the hearings panel. This report will be a public document, and will be circulated to the parties involved prior to the hearing.

Representations cannot be made anonymously.

Please remember that lodging a representation about an application is a serious matter. Any representation or request must be factually correct. It is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for such an offence is £5,000.

How do I submit a petition against a licence application? 

Any petitions received will need to follow the council's advice on submitting Petitions

How will my representation be dealt with?

It may be necessary to hold a hearing to determine the outcome of the application if we receive a representation from:

  • a responsible authority
  • a resident living in the vicinity of the premises
  • a business in the vicinity of the premises
  • a body representing a resident or business in the vicinity of the premises.

The hearing will be conducted with three members of the Licensing Committee, one of whom will be appointed the Chairperson.  The members of this Licensing Committee can only consider information given at the hearing, and the procedure will follow Guidance for Hearings.

Any person or body who has made a representation in relation to the application will be invited to the hearing, along with the applicant and various council officers.   

The Parties involved have the right of appeal to the Magistrates’ Court.  Any appeal must be lodged at the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the date the applicant was informed of the Committee's decision. 

Minor Variations 

The government has amended the Licensing Act 2003 to allow minor variations to Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificates.

Minor variations will usually fall into one of four categories:

  • minor changes to the structure or layout of the premises
  • small adjustments to licensing hours
  • the removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions or the addition of volunteered conditions.
  • the addition of certain licensable activities.

In all cases the overall test is whether the proposals could impact adversely on any of the four licensing objectives.

How do I submit an application for a Minor Variation?

The applicant is not required to advertise the minor variation in a newspaper or copy it to the responsible authorities.  They must display details of the application on a white notice at the premises, where it can be easily read by the public.  The notice must remain in place for 10 working days starting on the day after the application was given to us. 

Upon receipt of the application, we must consider whether the proposed changes could have a detrimental impact on the licensing objectives.  If we feel it necessary, we may consult with the responsible authorities and take their views into account when reaching a decision.  We must also consider any representations received from interested parties during the 10 working days after the application was received by us.  We then have a further five working days in which to make a decision to either grant or refuse the application.

If an application is granted, a revised licence will be issued.  If the application is refused then a full variation application may be submitted.

How do I make a representation against a Minor Variation application?

Interested parties have 10 working days from the 'initial day', that is the day after the application is received by us, to submit representations. 

Where an application is refused and is then re-submitted through the full variation process, the full 28 days' notification period will apply from the date the new application is received by us. 

How do I request a review of a licence or club premises certificate? 

A request for a review must be based on the four licensing objectives.

It must be made on the review application form and the applicant must send a copy of the application to the holder of the licence and all the responsible authorities on the same day as the application is sent to us. 

Complete the review of licence form.

Once a Premises Licence or Club Premise Certificate is in operation, a responsible authority or an interested party may request a review.

How do you review a valid licence review request?

Once a valid request has been received, we must advertise the request by posting notices:

  • at the site
  • at our offices (our reception).

During the following 28 days, the licence holder, a responsible authority or an interested party may make representations to us regarding the review. 

We must hold a hearing to determine what action should be taken.

The possible outcomes are:

  • do nothing
  • modify the conditions
  • exclude a licensable activity
  • remove the Designated Premises Supervisor
  • suspend the licence for up to 3 months
  • revoke the licence.

If we decide to reject the review application we may issue an informal warning to the licence holder and/or recommend improvement within a particular period of time.

We must notify the licence holder, the applicant for the review, any person or body who made a representation and the Chief Officer of Police of the outcome of the review.  The outcome of the review will not begin to take affect until at least 21 days after the decision is notified, to allow for any appeal to be made to the Magistrates' Court.

How can I contact the Responsible Authorities?

These authorities are able to comment on applications made under the Licensing Act 2003 and can apply for a review of a licence.

Applications need to be served on all or some of the responsible authorities on the same day as the application is made to us.

Derbyshire Constabulary

C/o Licensing Officer
St Mary's Wharf
Prime Parkway
Chester Green

Contact for advice...

Applications by email must be followed up with a hard copy by post.

Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service

Fire Authority
South Area Licensing
Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service
Ascot Drive Fire Station
Ascot Drive
DE24 8GZ

Contact for advice:

Applications by email must be followed up with a hard copy by post.

Food and Safety Team

Derby City Council
Food and Safety Team
The Council House
Corporation Street

Contact for advice:

Environmental Protection

Derby City Council
Environment Protection Team
The Council House
Corporation Street

Contact for advice:

Trading Standards

Derby City Council
Trading Standards Team
The Council House
Corporation Street

Contact for advice:

Director of Planning and Transportation

Derby City Council
Planning Team
The Council House
Corporation Street

Contact for advice:

Derby Safeguarding Children Board

Child Protection Manager
Derby City Council 
Council House
Corporation Street

Contact for advice:

Public Health

Director for Public Health
The Council House
Corporation Street

Contact for advice:

• Telephone 01332 643067

Home Office

Alcohol Licensing Team
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road

Contact for advice:

There is a legal requirement to individuals and partnerships to send a copy of your application to the Home Office.

If you are a applying as a company, there is no requirement for you to send your application directly to the Home Office.

Licensing Authority

Derby City Council
Licensing Team
The Council House
Corporation Street

Contact for advice:

City Pubwatch Scheme

Derby City Pubwatch is a meeting where Licence Holders and Responsible Authorities can meet to discuss current topics. Attending Pubwatch is generally voluntary, unless it is a condition on the premises licence.

Derby City Pubwatch online is an initiative that allows licensed premises staff instant access to information of individuals that are banned by Derby City Pubwatch group from entering licensed premises across the area with a key aim of achieving a safe and secure social environment for licensed premises customers and staff.

The co-ordinator for Derby City Pubwatch is Jason Dickens. Email


Opening times

Day Times
Monday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Wednesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Thursday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Friday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641951
Minicom: 01332 640666
Fax: 01332 643299
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street