Occasional and Temporary Use Notices


Occasional Use Notice

Where there is betting on a track for eight or less days in a calendar year, betting may be permitted by an Occasional Use Notice without the need for a full Premises Licence. 

A track means:

  • a horse racecourse
  • a dog track
  • any other premises or any part of a premises on which a race or other sporting event takes or is intended to take place.  

The track does not have to be a permanent fixture and can be used for other purposes when not being utilised as a track. 

Can gaming machines be provided? 

No gaming machines may be provided under the provisions of an ‌. 

How do I apply for an Occasional Use Notice? 

A notice must be served on us by the occupier of the land or a person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track.

Complete the Occasional use notice form

How many Occasional Use notices can I have in a year? 

Notices may be given for consecutive days but cannot exceed the limit of eight days in a calendar year. 

Provided that the notice will not result in betting facilities being made available for more than eight days in any calendar year, there is no provision for any counter notices or objections to be submitted. 

The information below provides a general explanation of the circumstances in which ‘race nights’ can be played under the Gambling Act 2005.  It does not deal with every detail of the legislative provisions, or with the individual circumstances of a particular case.   

The Gambling Commission has issued a statutory code of practice on gaming in clubs and pubs, which is available from its website. 

Temporary Use Notice

Temporary Use Notices (TUN) allow the use of premises for gambling where there is no Premises Licence but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling.

How do I apply for a Temporary Use Notice?

A Temporary Use Notice must be lodged with us not less than three months and one day before the day on which the gambling event will begin.

A copy of the notice must also be served within seven days on:

  • the Gambling Commission
  • the Chief of Police
  • HM Revenues and Customs
  • any other Licensing Authority in whose area the premises are situated.

You must complete the Temporary use notice form and this with the relevant payment. Download the Current List of Gambling Fees.

If the Temporary Use Notice needs to be modified after being processed, a fee must be paid and the Licensing Team notified in writing.

Opening times

Day Times
Monday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Wednesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Thursday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Friday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641951
Minicom: 01332 640666
Fax: 01332 643299
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street