Family entertainment centre

What is a Family Entertainment Centre?

A Family Entertainment Centre is defined as 'premises (other than an Adult Gaming Centre) wholly or mainly used for making gaming machines available for use'.

How do I apply for a new licence?

Complete the New premises licence application form and send this with the relevant payment.

The following forms can be used to help prepare your notice of application:

The time taken to process an application depends on each individual application. The time period can range from a minimum of one month up to two months, but this could be longer if appeals are made following a committee hearing.

When an application is submitted, a 28 day statutory consultation period will follow. This allows time for local residents, businesses and Responsible Authorities to give their responses to the application - known as 'representations'. This is done by considering the three licensing objectives.

If posting or handing in the application form(s) at our reception you are required to also serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the Responsible Authorities on the same day as the application is given to us. If the application is submitted electronically, we will provide copies to the Responsible Authorities. We can only accept applications for premises within our Local authority area .

Are there different types of Family Entertainment Centre?

Family Entertainment Centres fall into two categories:

  • those with Gambling Commission operating licence
  • those with a Gaming Machine Permit issued by us.

What licence is required to operate a Family Entertainment Centre?

To operate a licensed Family Entertainment Centre it will be necessary for the operator to obtain:

  • a Gaming Machine general licence from the Gambling Commission
  • a Family Entertainment Centre Premises Licence from us.

What category of gaming machines can I provide?

An unlimited number of Category C and D gaming machines can be provided. Category C machines must, be located in an 'adult only' area.

How long will my licence last?

There is no time limit for a Family Entertainment Centre licence. You will not need to reapply again unless your circumstances change. You must however, pay an annual fee for both your operating licence and your premises licence.

What age do children have to be to enter a Family Entertainment Centre?

There is no minimum age limit.

Are there any fees to pay?

Yes. For more information, download our Current List of Gambling Fees.

Can I provide a facility with only category D gaming machines?

An Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre (Category D gaming machines only) does not require a Gaming Machine General Licence or Premises Licence.

However, it does require a Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permit.

Complete the Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre (UFEC) Machine Permit application form and send this with the relevant payment. Please see our Current List of Gambling Fees.

Opening times

Day Times
Monday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Wednesday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Thursday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Friday 9.00am to 12.45pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641951
Minicom: 01332 640666
Fax: 01332 643299
Licensing Team
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street