Winter grant scheme

Published: 25 November 2020

Food parcels

Food parcels ready to be distributed

Derby City Council has announced its plans for the £899,498 Winter Support Scheme funding provided by the Government.

The scheme will cover the period between Tuesday 1st December and Wednesday 31st March and aims to help thousands of households with children eligible for free school meals as well as other vulnerable families and individuals using a community partnership delivery model.

The scheme is broken down into three elements. The first two elements, ‘free school meals’ and the provision of food parcels, will make up approximately 80% of the funding with the remaining 20% to be spent on helping vulnerable households & individuals with a contribution towards their energy and water bills.

‘Free School meals’ will be provided, in the form of vouchers distributed by schools, to all eligible children in Derby for two term breaks at Christmas and the half term in late February 2021.

Schools will then also be asked to identify other vulnerable families not eligible for free school meals who will receive food and toiletries parcels through our partner Food 4 Thought Alliance. Funding is in place for around 12,000 parcels over the length of the scheme increasing the capacity from the current level of around 2000.

The winter support payment for energy and water bills will be distributed through our partners the Advice Alliance and will work on a referral system from our approved referrers. It is estimated that support will cover approx. 30% of the average energy and water costs for four months.

The proposals will be considered by Council Cabinet on Wednesday 9th December

Councillor Evonne Williams, Cabinet Member for Children and Young People said:

I’m delighted that everyone involved has worked so quickly to pull this plan together so we can provide some reassurance and security to vulnerable families over the winter.

The thought of children going hungry is terrible at any time, but especially over the Christmas break and we are committed that this will not happen.

I believe the plans we have put in place with our fantastic partners are the right ones to support vulnerable families over the coming months.

Share this article…
FB   LI   TW   WA   EM