COVID-19 Business Information
During the current COVID-19 pandemic, the Government have imposed a number of restrictions upon businesses in relation to how they can operate. Latest information is available on the Government's coronavirus guidance.
The Government have also issued specific guidance for restaurants, pubs, bars, and takeaway services.
We have also published advice on our business regulatory support pages.
Advice for food businesses
Scientific advice is that it is very unlikely that COVID-19 can be spread through food.
Food businesses cannot currently open to allow customers to consume food or drink within their premises or outside seating areas. Businesses which offer a takeaway or delivery service are still able to operate, however all businesses must carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment and implement controls to protect both staff and customers. More information is available on our business regulatory support pages. If you are changing how you are operating, you should think through the hazards and ensure that you have control measures in place for infection control and food safety.
We understand that some businesses may wish to start providing a takeaway or delivery service and may have questions in relation to how they should operate safely. The Government have published guidance on restaurants offering takeway or delivery services. Alternatively, you can email the Food and Safety Team.
- consider the risks associated with infection control to ensure that yourself, employees and members of the public are not infected and are not spreading the infection.
- ensure there are procedures in place in relation to social distancing and the wearing of face coverings by employees and customers with your business premises.
- ensure you have procedures in place to protect your employees whilst they are delivering food to your customers.
- ensure you have a supply of soap for hand washing and antibacterial cleaner to enable you to clean and sanitise your preparation surfaces.
- have a cleaning schedule in place regardless of the COVID-19 emergency.
During the current emergency, cleaning all hand contact points is even more important as is using the correct type of disinfectant.