Street parking - enforcement and fines including report a parking problem


What parking enforcement is the Council responsible for?

We are responsible for enforcing parking restrictions both on and off street within the boundary of the city, as well as in Council car parks. To report a general parking problem you can e-mail Our team will review and investigate your concerns before offering you feedback on their findings.

Our team of Civil Enforcement Officers patrol the streets and car parks:

  • providing help and advice
  • improving security with the help of CCTV, and
  • enforcing the parking restrictions.

When using pay and display facilities, please make sure:

  • you have sufficient money to pay when parking (motorists are not allowed time to get change for parking)
  • you return before the expiry time of your ticket. If you return after, you may risk receiving a penalty charge notice (PCN).

The Police have sole responsibility for enforcing all other moving traffic offences, including obstruction in or on the highway.

What are Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs)?

Motorists are required, by law, to follow any parking restrictions in place that are clearly shown by:

  • signs
  • lines on the streets
  • the notice boards in car parks.

Under the Traffic Management Act 2004 s78, our Civil Enforcement Officers will issue a PCN, generally known as a parking ticket or parking fine, to any vehicle that contravenes a parking restriction.

The liability (legal responsibility) for paying a PCN lies with the registered keeper of the vehicle.

How do I avoid getting a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)?

Our CEOs will issue PCNs for the following parking contraventions:


  • Higher level contraventions are £70, reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days of the PCN being served.
  • Lower’ level contraventions are £50, reduced to £25, if paid within 14 days of the PCN being served.

Contravention Codes can be viewed Contravention Codes for Parking Tickets.

How do I pay my Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)?

Please make sure you quote the Penalty Charge Number when making payments. You can pay:


You can pay online by credit or debit card.

By credit or debit card

Pay by calling 0345 600 1982 or pay in person at the Customer Service Centre at The Council House, Corporation Street. 

By cash

You can pay by cash at our Customer Service Centre at The Council House, Corportation Street. Please do not send cash by post.

How do I challenge my Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)?

You can challenge a PCN if you:

  • think that the PCN is wrong
  • have a valid pay and display ticket or permit to cover the time of the parking contravention,

Find out more about how you can challenge your PCN.

What happens if I ignore the letters sent to me?

Please don't ignore letters we send you.

If you don’t contact us or make a payment we will eventually pass the outstanding debt to our Enforcement Agents (formerly known as Bailiffs). Once the Enforcement Agents have the debt, any costs that they incur will be added to the outstanding Penalty Charge.

As from 6 April 2014, new legislation has been introduced, namely, the Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013. This will mean that any debts sent to the Enforcement Agents after this date will be dealt with in a different way to debts sent prior to this date.

Under the new legislation the initial letter sent to the debtor by the Enforcement Agents will immediately incur an additional charge of £75.00 for each Penalty Charge Notice.

The Enforcement Agents will also apply other standard fees, such as £230.00 for any visits made and £105.00 for removal fees. Additional fees can also be incurred dependant on the situation but these will also be in line with the new legislation.

Am I exempt from any waiting restrictions?

A limited number of vehicles are exempt from waiting restrictions...

  • Emergency vehicles when attending an emergency
  • 'Statutory undertakers' (utilities) when attending their equipment in the highway
  • Highway maintenance vehicles whilst undertaking their work
  • Liveried Council vehicles that are carrying out a statutory duty.

I need my vehicle to be close by because I need to carry out essential work - what do I do?

  • If you are in a pay and display bay, you should buy a pay and display ticket.
  • If you are in a limited waiting bay, you should keep to the restriction times and period, as shown on the signs.
  • If you are in a permit holders only area, you should get a visitor permit from the resident of the property you are working at
  • If you are on yellow lines – see general exemptions.

What are 'general exemptions'?

There are general exemptions which allow a vehicle to park in contravention of the restrictions for as long as is reasonably necessary.

This could be to allow:

  • the vehicle to be used for the collection or delivery or the loading or unloading of goods from the vehicle. Loading or unloading must be a continuous process that takes no longer than necessary, or the vehicle may receive a PCN.
  • 'statutory undertaker' (utilities) vehicles if they cannot be parked in any other road to carrying out essential works. The vehicle is only exempt when it is considered necessary for the type of work that is being done. The civil enforcement officer will assess the situation to make sure the vehicle really needs to be parked at the location.

We do not give permission to park on the highway. You will need to satisfy the civil enforcement officer in the area that you are parked that you:

  • are making a delivery, loading or unloading, or
  • require your vehicle as an essential part of your work, which means it is being used as a workstation

The civil enforcement officer will observe your vehicle for a period of time and, if they observe no activity, may issue a PCN.

Important:  Where loading restrictions are in place, no exemptions apply.

Frequently-given statements and our responses

I'm worried about the security of the vehicle.

This is not a valid reason for an exemption.

I need to use my tools in the vehicle frequently.

Tools should be taken on site, once tools have been delivered; the vehicle must be relocated to a place where it is not contravening any parking restrictions.

Do I have to pay and display when carrying out work?

You must abide by the restrictions in place, otherwise your vehicle risks receiving a PCN.

I work for the Council.

This is not a reason for an exemption - you must abide by the restrictions in place.

Find out what we do about vehicles parked on pavements or verges.

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Parking Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 0333 200 6981
Minicom: 01332 640666
Parking Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street