How do I challenge a PCN?

If you feel that you have been given a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) incorrectly, you have every right to submit a challenge.

Reasons for challenging a PCN are as follows:

  • You think that the PCN is incorrect.

  • You have a valid pay and display ticket to cover the time of the parking contravention.

  • You have a permit to cover the location of the parking contravention.

You must make your challenge in writing by law, we cannot accept challenges over the telephone.

When making your challenge, please supply copies of any evidence supporting your challenge, such as a valid pay and display ticket, a permit or a Blue Badge.

You will need to quote:

  • The PCN number (DR xxxx xxxx)

  • The vehicle registration number

  • Your address

  • Your telephone and / or mobile number

You will also need to fully explain your reason for challenging the PCN. You will receive an acknowledgement to confirm that we have received your challenge. We will write back to you, in full, once we have considered your challenge.

You can submit your challenge by:

  • Using the online appeal form.
  • Sending via post to:

Parking Services,

Derby City Council,

The Council House,

Corporation Street,



  • Via fax machine on:

01332 643 299