Proposed fees and charges now out for consultation from 25 January 2018 for 28 day period. Click here for Proposed Fees and Charges April 2018.
Please see Revised Taxi Fees and Charges
We issue a combined hackney & private hire driver licence (dual) and a private hire driver licences. They are normally issued for 3 years.
We have a duty to issue licences to ‘fit and proper’ persons. Please contact the Licensing Team for a copy of the Derby Taxi Licensing Policy
As from 1 July 2017 taxi licensing has changed, please see Frequently Asked Questions for queries about training and fees. We now operate the Derby Penalty Point Scheme. Points will be determined at the point of a new application, or at the point of renewal, or if the Licensing Team is notified of a change in circumstances.
In order to ensure all applicants are ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence we require:
• a completed Driver Application Form
• an enhanced criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), and subscription to the On-line Update Service. Link to DBS Acceptable Documents and link to DBS On-line Update Service guidance notes.
• a medical examination from your own GP that proves the person meets the requirements of the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency Group 2 medical for vocational drivers. Please download a Medical Form for more information
• successful completion of the Derby City Knowledge test. Download Knowledge Test Guidance Notes for more information
• successful completion of a practical driving test aimed specifically at taxi driving. Dual licence applicants will need to pass the advanced test that includes the safe transportation of wheelchair passengers. Download a List of Driving Test Providers
• a check on the applicants’ immigration status, including their Right to Work. Download a list of Home Office Acceptable Documents for more information
• successful completion of the Council’s course in Safeguarding Awareness. Current Safeguarding Training Dates the cost is £30 per person. The dates for 2018 are being arranged. They will appear here in due course. You may find Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation Information Sheet for Drivers useful.
• dual licence applicants will also need to complete the Derby City Practical Driving Test, please see Derby City Practical Driving Test Guidance for more information
• if you are not a United Kingdom (UK) national and have not lived within the UK for at least five years, you will need to obtain a certificate of Good Conduct from the relevant national embassy
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have held a full UK or European drivers’ licence for at least 12 months.
Disclosure and Barring Service criminal record check forms have a unique number and cannot be downloaded from our website. They are available from the Licensing Booth in the Council House.
As from 1 July 2017 we will use the when assessing a persons’ suitability to be granted a licence or to continue to hold a licence. You are advised to read the Penalty Point Scheme before you apply.
Complete a Driver Application Form. Bring it to the Council House with your current driving licence and a completed DBS form, together with the acceptable documents and those needed for your immigration status / right to work check.
You can then book onto the knowledge test and the safeguarding awareness course, but you are advised to wait until you have received your DBS certificate. The Knowledge Test Scheduled Dates are subject to availability.
You will need to provide all the required documents before a licence will be considered and pay the correct Taxi Licensing Fees
Once granted you must complete the National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 2 Certificate in Road Passenger Vehicle Driving (Taxi and Private Hire) within 12 months, there are several local NVQ training providers.
Once granted you will be expected to comply with licence conditions:
As an existing licence holder you will receive a renewal reminder approximately 3 months before your licence expires. Your licence will not be issued on the day of submitting your renewal. Please allow up to 10 working days for your renewal application to be processed. It is your responsibility to apply in plenty of time to renew your licence.
If you are interested in getting a licence to drive a stretched limousine with 8 seats or less, or to drive a tuk-tuk please email the Licensing Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some public registers are published on-line and are updated at least every three months. If you have any queries please email the Licensing Team
|Monday||9.00am to 12.45pm|
|Tuesday||9.00am to 12.45pm|
|Wednesday||9.00am to 12.45pm|
|Thursday||9.00am to 12.45pm|
|Friday||9.00am to 12.45pm|