Who qualifies for free school meals?
Your child qualifies for free school meals if you are getting one of the following support payments...
- Income Support
- Income-Based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, unless you are entitled to Working Tax Credit, and you have an annual income as assessed by HMRC that does not exceed £16,190
- Guarantee credit element of State Pension Credit.
Young people over 16 years old who are still at school are entitled to free school meals if they get Income Support or Income-Based Jobseeker's Allowance in their own right.
Are there any conditions around claims for free school meals?
Children must be in education before and after lunch to qualify for free school meals.
If your child attends one of the following schools, we won't be able to deal with a claim for free school meals...
- Chellaston Secondary School
- Dale Community Primary School
- Derby Pride Academy
- Grampian Primary School
- Landau Forte College Derby (Landau Forte Academy Moorhead)
- Merrill Academy
- Murray Park Community School
- Noel Baker Community School
- Osmaston Primary School
- West Park School
- Woodlands Community School
- Wyndham Primary Academy (was Boulton Primary School).
Instead, contact the school and they will deal with the claim for free school meals.
How do I claim free schools meals for my child?
If your child qualifies and is not at one of the listed schools, download and complete the Claim for free school meals form
Contact us for a paper copy or to get more information.