Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19 cases are rising in Derby - read the latest COVID-19 guidance.

Parent carer support

The Council for Disabled Children has produced a 5-minute animation that provides an introduction to SEND local Information, Advice and Support Services (IASS). IASS are a statutory function of local authorities and provide support to children and young people with SEND, and parents, about matters relating to SEND. Your local IASS is Derby SENDIASS.

  • Derby SEND Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provides free, legally-based impartial, confidential and accessible information, advice and support for children, young people and parents/carers covering SEN, Disabilities, Health and Social Care.
  • Disability Direct aims to empower disabled people to make their own choices and improve their quality of life and independent living opportunities through the provision of information, advice and advocacy.
  • Fun-abili8y is a leisure and developmental programme for young disabled people aged 3-25 years who live in Derby with any type and degree of disability. Fun-abili8y runs a variety of specialist clubs, one to one community support and a holiday programme of trips and activities in each school holiday.
  • Light House is the home of the Integrated Disability Children’s Service (IDCS) which is a multi-disciplinary, multi-agency service aimed at meeting some of the needs of disabled children aged 0 to 17 years and families.
  • Parent Carers Together is an independent, non-political group that represents parents and carers of children and young people 0-25 years with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in Derby City.
  • Ronnie McKeith Centre provides specialist medical and therapeutic support for children and young people with long-term health conditions. The team also supports families and carers with a well-used service which provides information.
  • Umbrella supports families living in Derby providing a range of exciting activities drop in and offers an advice, support and signposting service to other agencies and services.
  • Contact is a charity for families with disabled children who bring together families and offer a range of support. They have produced a very helpful booklet called The Helpful Guide for Families with Disabled Children.
  • Global Mediation provides mediation advice across the East Midlands region. The service is free of charge to users and can be accessed by telephoning 0800 064 4488. It provides neutral and independent advice on the mediation process and can refer you to a mediation provider, if appropriate.
  • Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA), offers free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs and disabilities. They also provide training on the SEND legal framework to parents and carers, professionals and other organisations.

Please search our equipment directory for a range of mobility aids, accessibility apparatus and sensory devices.

Advocacy means having someone to help you express your views and wishes if you find it difficult to do this yourself.

An advocate is not there to provide information and advice.

Because an advocate should be independent, we don't directly provide an advocacy service but we do fund a local organisation to provide independent advocacy.

For more information please see our Special Education Needs Insight Pack 2019-20.

Early Help in Derby is focused on vulnerable families where there is a need for coordinated support from agencies to prevent issues escalating to the point where families may require support from the Local Authority. To contact the Early Help Team, telephone 01332 256666.

How to complain to Derby City Council

You can report issues directly to a department without using our formal complaints procedure. This is often the quickest way to get your issue resolved.

How to complain to schools

If you are making a complaint about a school you must make it directly to the school. The contact details can be found in the online directory. Each school will have its own procedure and they will provide you with a copy of this on request. The procedure will tell you who to address the complaint to and when you should expect the response by.

In most cases, complaints should be made in writing to the headteacher. If your complaint is about the headteacher you may write to the Chair of Governors, c/o the school address. When the school receives a complaint they will investigate it in accordance with their own procedures.

How to complain about Derbyshire CCG

The Patient Experience team is the central point of contact for people to provide feedback and raise concerns about the services provided by Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.

How to complain to Derby Royal Hospital

PALS, the Patient Advice and Liaison Service, is there to help when you need advice, have concerns, want to tell them what you think about their services, or do not know where to turn. The office is open Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 4.30pm and is located in the main entrance, opposite Costa Coffee. Please leave a voicemail outside of opening hours.