What support Derby COVID Community Response Hub can offer
Published: 3 April 2020
Alongside partners, Derby City Council has been coordinating the Derby COVID Community Response Hub, to help our most vulnerable residents through the coronavirus pandemic.
To access support, or to volunteer to help, call our friendly Derby Direct advisors on 01332 640000.
A number of people have asked who can access support, and what the hub can do for them, so we’ve put together a quick list to help.
Through the hub, we’re assisting those who fall into the Government’s ‘vulnerable’ category, and are therefore self-isolating. We’re prioritising those with no family, friends or neighbours who can help them, and those in the Shield and Protect programme. This includes people who are;
- aged 70 or older
- very overweight, with a BMI of 40 or above
- have lung conditions, such as asthma, COPD, emphysema or bronchitis
- have heart disease, such as heart failure
- have chronic kidney disease
- have liver disease, such as hepatitis
- have conditions affecting the brain and nerves, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
- have diabetes
- have problems with their spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you’ve had your spleen removed
- have a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
- have had an organ transplant
- are having certain types of cancer treatment
- have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
Things that the hub can help with includes:
- collecting prescriptions
- dog Walking
- befriending e.g. telephone calls
- provision of food parcels to those most in need
- meal delivery
- other daily tasks those self-isolating can no longer do for themselves
- putting rubbish out
- topping up energy keys
Volunteers, and those who need help can contact Derby Direct on 01332 640000. The line will open between 9.00am – 6.00pm, every day. There’s also a dedicated email address that can be contacted; email@example.com.