Help with Council Tax payments

Published: 4 July 2020

Council House at night

Help is available for those on low income

As the Council returns to regular collections of Council Tax it’s important to remind residents that there is help available for those on low income.

If you’re a Council Tax payer on a low income, including if you’re on Universal Credit, and you need help with your Council Tax payments, you may be entitled to help through the Council Tax Support scheme.

If you are living at the property and are of Pension Credit age you may receive support for the whole of your bill. If you’re of working age, you may receive up to 70% but it will depend on your income and the other adults that live with you.

Click the link to find details of how to claim Council Tax Support.

You may also be able to get an exemption or discount on your Council Tax if, for example:

  • You live on your own
  • Someone living in your house has a severe mental impairment, like dementia or a learning disability
  • You were in care provided by the Council on your 16th birthday and you are now aged under 25
  • A person in your house is a carer
  • Your home has been adapted for someone with a disability
  • Your home is an annexe to another property, for example a flat attached to a house
  • Your house is empty – maybe you have left to go into a care home or hospital
  • You are a student, apprentice or youth training trainee.

These discounts and exemptions do not depend on your income.  There’s more information on the Derby City Council Council Tax pages.

Councillor Nicola Roulstone, Cabinet Member for Finance, Benefits and Procurement said:

The Council Tax Support system is in place to help those who need it. we encourage people to visit the website and start the process as soon as possible.

Share this article…
FB   LI   TW   WA   EM