Education looks very different to normal at the moment. Most children are at home and even the children who are at school are not experiencing the same education as they usually would. While it can be daunting to feel responsible for your child's education, at the Virtual School, we think it is worth trying to focus on some of the positives that can arise from this situation.
All of our children and young people will really benefit from spending more time with the people who are important to them at home. This is a wonderful opportunity to further secure the essential relationships that are going to provide such a strong foundation for when they return to school in the future. At the Virtual School, we know that spending time on simple, home-based activities can provide so many valuable opportunities for learning, both educationally and emotionally. We have provided you with lots of ideas about websites and learning opportunities below, but we would also like to reinforce something you already know; time together doing everyday activities is time very well spent.
Please think about doing any of these activities everyday:
- Watch films
- Play board games
- Read books together
- Read to your child (yes, even teenagers!)
- Plan meals
- Tidy bedrooms
- Do mindful colouring
- Go for a walk or bike ride
- Listen to story CDs
- Teach your child to clean or iron
- Make up stories together
- Do crosswords
- Play sudoku
- Make scrap books
- Do jigsaws
- Solve riddles
- Play battleships
- Learn new card games
- Tell jokes.
The list is endless, and while structured learning from school and the internet can be important, embedding loving and trusting relationships at home will always be essential.
Our motto in the Virtual School is "Thriving through Relationships". What better way of doing that than quality time together?
Have fun, and be in touch if we can help or support you in anyway.
The book 'Coronavirus - a book for children' can be downloaded to help explain coronavirus (COVID-19) to children.
Please refer to a list of Government recommended resources and also some resources compiled by the Virtual School team.
Two extensive resources have been made available from 20/04/2020 for pupils from Reception age to Y10. These are daily lessons which pupils can access and provide some structure for their days if this is necessary.
Aged 14+? check out the youth employment hub.
- English with Holly - Facebook live lessons at 11am
- Elevenses with David Walliams - Listen to one David Walliams' Worst Children stories at 11am
- Audible - Audio books, Audible have made children's books free to stream for the duration of the school closure
- Teach your monster to read - For reception and year 1 - learning to read made into a fun game.
- Numberblocks - CBeebies number sing along
- Snappy Maths - KS1 and KS2 maths games
- Maths paper - Free printable graph paper
- Maths Whizz - Contact Graeme Ferguson for a Virtual School log in
- Maths with Carol Vorderman - Free lessons for children aged 4-11.
- ICT Games - Maths and English ICT games
- Topmarks - Educational games
- Take a Code Break - Learn the basics of computer science through Zoom on Wednesdays at 10am (computer not required)
- P.E. with Joe - Live interactive P.E. sessions at 9am or watch back anytime
- Cosmic Kids Yoga - Yoga and stories for children.
- GoNoodle - Mindfulness and 'good energy' activities.
Modern Foreign Languages
- Duolingo - Learn a language for free.
- Jazza Art - Giant sharpie drawing
- Jazza Art - Learning to sketch
- Learn how to garden! Tomato hanging baskets, Runner beans, Salad seeds, Potatoes
- Get kids cooking - Child-friendly recipes with Jamie Oliver
- National Theatre at Home - Stream a play every Thursday at 7pm on YouTube
- The National Gallery - A 360 tour of the National Gallery, London
- The Strong National Museum of Play - View the exhibits at the National Museum of Play.
- Great British Home Chorus - Join Gareth Malone and sing in a virtual choir
- Myleene's Music Klass - Music lessons with Myleene Klass
- Fender - Learn to play the guitar for free.
- History Hit Podcast - 30 day free trial.
Home Learning websites
Other fun things to check out
- The Blue Planet - Documentary by David Attenborough
- WildEarth's daily LIVE safaris - A live African safari
- RNLI - Staying safe by the water activity sheets
- Buggy and Buddy - 30+ printable scavenger hunts
- Kidadl - A wide range of lockdown specific activities
- Dance mat typing - learn to touch type
- Into Film - Fun activities surrounding the film industry
- RSPCA - Animal themed activities.