Apply for a leaflet distribution permit
Apply for a permit
How to apply
1. Complete the Free literature distribution application form.
2. View and pay the licence fee prior to submitting your application. Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.
3. Email the following to email@example.com:
- completed application form
- copy of your payment receipt.
You must include a copy of your payment receipt with the application. Any application received without a payment receipt will not be processed.
We must receive the completed application form not less than ten working days before the date you would like to start to distribute free printed matter.
Please submit your application form(s) together with the fee and any supporting documentation if applicable. Failure to do this will result in your application being rejected and you will be required to re-submit all the necessary documentation at the same time. If your payment is received prior to you submitting your application then please forward the receipt with the application form or write the receipt number on the application form to enable us to process your application.
The Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 94B/Schedule 3A does not apply and consent under this legislation is not required for the distribution of free printed matter relating to:
- By or on behalf of a charity within the meaning of the Charities Act 1993, where the free printed matter relates to or is intended for the benefit of the charity.
- Where the distribution is for political purposes or for the purposes of a religion or belief.
- By a person who distributes the free printed matter by delivering it into a building or letter-box.
- Mobile distribution of printed literature by a Public Body or Public Service such as, local authority, police, fire service, for public information will not be subject to the need to apply for formal consent. But the distributor will need to notify us and will be expected to comply with the Standard Consent Conditions 10 to 11 and 13 to 18.
- If any distribution is taking place in connection with a space hire agreement with Derby Live, including having a stall or trailer and intend to make free printed literature available. Consent to distribute free printed literature is included within your space hire fee. You will not be issued with a separate permit or badge but you will be required to comply with Standard Consent Conditions 4 to 5, 7 to 8, 10 to 12, 14 to 20 and 22. These conditions will be detailed on your permission issued by Derby Live. Mobile distributors not covered by the exemptions for charitable, religious/belief or political purposes or are not covered by the above will be required to apply for a permit and comply with all conditions. This applies in addition to the booking agreement with Derby Live.
We reserve the right to refuse to give consent to any applicant where we consider that the proposed distribution would likely lead to defacement of the designated land.
Where this happens the applicant will be informed of the decision and the reasons for refusal. Examples of where this might occur is where an applicant has caused defacement on a previous occasion or where there is a distribution planned that is of such a scale and or planned in such a way that the distributors are unable to meet the standard conditions.
We reserve the right to refuse to give consent if the applicant has been convicted of an offence of distributing free printed matter without consent within the last five years, or paid a fixed penalty notice relating to this offence in the last three years.
Refused applicants may appeal to the Magistrates' Court against the refusal.
The Licensing Team is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use our services.