Frequently asked questions
The Electric Van Experience will be provided in compliance with the current restrictions and guidance around operating safely during COVID-19. This includes the handover and receipt of vans and installation of charge points. In addition we will:
- complete a 14 point COVID-19 cleaning checklist before vehicle handover
- provide hand sanitiser, disinfectant and wipes in all trial vehicles
- follow hands, face and space guidance at all times.
The van can be loaned for 30,60 or 90 days. If you want to try it for a shorter period, that’s fine too. The choice is yours! Unlimited mileage is included for the loan period. The vehicle remains the property of Derby City Council.
The collection and return address is:
Nottingham Electric Vehicle Services (NEVS), Eastcroft Depot, London Road, Nottingham, NG2 3AH.
We will talk to you about a collection time once you’ve confirmed on the Expression of Interest form which van you would like to loan.
Yes, the vehicle is insured under a fully comprehensive vehicle insurance policy with specialist provider Cooper Solutions. Up to five drivers in each business/organisation can be insured to drive an EVE van but there are ‘driver acceptance criteria’ around age, penalty points and licence disqualification. Once you express an interest in an electric van the team will get back to you about meeting the criteria.
The vehicles are new and electric vehicles have fewer moving parts to go wrong so breakdown, maintenance and repair is rare. But to give you peace of mind contact details are included in the loan agreement about who to call if you need assistance associated with a fault or breakdown.
A £250 deposit will need to be paid by card to Nottingham City Council on the day of the handover of the vehicle. This is refundable on condition that the vehicle is returned with no damage. If the vehicle is returned damaged, the council reserves the right to withhold the deposit. If repair work exceeds the deposit, the business/organisation would be liable for the balance.
Not unless you lose the keys or lose/damage the vehicle’s charging lead. You will be charged for:
- Lost Keys (manufacturer fee per key + £25 administration fee)
- Lost or damaged vehicle charging leads (manufacturer fee + £25 administration fee)
The business/organisation is responsible and liable for any parking, driving penalty, congestion or clean air zone charge imposed that is relevant to the van during your loan period.
We’ve tried to keep paperwork to a minimum.
- The business/organisation will need to agree to and sign a loan agreement on the day of handover. The agreement will be sent to you in advance of the collection date.
- So we can monitor how effective the service is, we need you to complete a short online questionnaire a) when we handover the electric van to you and b) on the day you return the van and the keys. We’ve estimated each will take no more than 15 minutes to complete.
The business/organisation needs to ensure the vehicle is charged using the correct type of charging point and also ensure the vehicle doesn’t run so low of electricity that it stops in transit. On your handover, you will be shown how you can check the level of battery charge and find out whether it’s running low. You will need to pay for electricity to charge the van. You can do this in two ways:
- You can apply for a fully funded workplace charging point by ticking the box on the online expression of interest form.
- If you don’t have access to a workplace charging point you can join the D2N2 electric vehicle public charging network. The region has more than 450 fast and rapid electric vehicle charging points you can use.
Over the two years following the launch of the project in November 2020, a wide range of small, medium and a few large electric vans will be available. Details below include information about vehicle range, weight and payload. Please indicate on the online expression of interest form which electric van you’re interested in trying out.
From December 2020, we have the following small vans available:
|Battery size (Kw)||Indicative range (miles on a single charge)||Maximum payload (kg)||Gross weight (kg)||Load space (cubic metres)|
|Maxus eDeliver 3 - SWB||52||213||905||2460||4.8|
|Maxus eDeliver 3 - SWG||35||140||865||2310||4.8|
|Renault Kangoo ZE Business Van||33||120||625||2130||3|
This page will be updated as and when further electric vans become available.