Corporation Street, Victoria Street and Albert Street
Back in July 2020, some interim emergency schemes were introduced across the city to respond to the ongoing pandemic and create safer spaces to encourage more socially distance walking and cycling journeys. Measures in this area included:
- One-way traffic with two-way cycling from Exchange Street junction to Victoria Street’s junction with Wardwick.
- Suspension of the bus stop outside HSBC.
- Extra space created around the bus stops outside Hook and Eye on Albert Street, and the former Debenhams site on Victoria Street to allow bus passengers and pedestrians to practice social distancing and create a safer environment.
- Re-routing of inbound buses down Bold Lane, Cathedral Road, Full Street and Corporation Street.
- Access only to buses, taxis, cyclists and pedestrians on Corporation Street between the hours of 7am and 7pm.
The Council have sought the views of local residents and businesses on the early stage designs for this area, and the consultation closed in June 2021. Details of the findings will be published soon.