Interim polling place review 2023
From 24 October the Council will review the polling places and polling districts used in the city ahead of the Local Elections on 5 May 2023.
Why is an interim review needed?
This interim review is needed following the Local Government Boundary Commission for England’s review of electoral arrangements for Derby. The LGBCE review created new wards for Derby and the polling districts need to be adjusted so that they can reflect both the old and the new ward boundaries.
The last statutory Polling Place Review for Derby took place in 2019. The next statutory review will take place between 1 October 2023 and 31 January 2025.
How is the review conducted?
The responsibility for reviewing polling districts and places rests with the Council for the Parliamentary constituencies of Derby North, Derby South and the parts of Mid-Derbyshire that are in the city.
We must comply with certain requirements when conducting the review:
- We must seek to ensure that all electors have such reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable
- So far as is reasonable and practicable every polling place should be accessible to electors who are disabled
- A polling place must be designated for each polling district, unless the circumstances of a polling district are such that the location does not materially affect the convenience of the electors
- The polling place should be an area in the district, unless there are special circumstances
- The (Acting) Returning Officer must comment on the existing and proposed arrangements and allocate electors to polling stations.
What is not covered by this review?
This review will not consider changes to the city boundary, Parliamentary constituency boundaries or ward boundaries.
Terminology used in the review
- A polling district is the geographical area created by sub-dividing a constituency or ward.
- A polling place is the building or area in which a polling station is located.
- A polling station is the actual room or area where voting takes place.
Polling review timetable
|Notice of review||24 October 2022|
|Publication of (Acting) Returning Officer’s representations||31 October 2022|
|Consultation opens||31 October 2022|
|Consultation closes||10 January 2023|
|Changes to polling places and districts implemented||1 March 2023|
Have your say
Consultation will take place from 31 October 2022 until 10 January 2023. Information on how you can make comments on the proposals and suggestions for polling places will be published on the Council’s ‘Let’s Talk Derby’ site.
We would welcome comments regarding the current or proposed arrangements. If you disagree with a proposed polling place it would be helpful if you suggest an alternative venue that you think the Council should consider along with the reasons you think this is a better option.
We would particularly encourage any comments about the accessibility of polling station voting to voters with any type of disability, either at specific polling places, or in general.
The Council is required to publish any representations made in the course of the review.
Information and guidance on Polling Place Reviews, including how to appeal a review, can be found on the Electoral Commission’s website.