Street cleaning programme
We are responsible for keeping the city clean and free of litter. Standards for street cleaning are set by law and can be found in the Code of Practice on Litter and Refuse (CoPLaR), issued under Section 89 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
We have teams of street cleaners working across the city who use a variety of methods including:
- hand sweeping and litter picking
- pedestrian operated sweepers
- mechanical footway sweepers
- large mechanical road sweepers
- vacuum collectors - to deal with leaf and blossom fall
- a gum removal unit in the city centre.
How often is my street cleaned?
We regularly clean all streets in the city, but busy streets are cleaned more often than quiet ones. The city centre is cleaned daily between 5am and 6pm. All streets are cleaned at least every eight weeks.
What can I do if I think my street is dirty?
If you feel your street is not cleaned to a satisfactory standard, report it to us. When you report a problem, give as much information as you can so that we can deal with the problem quickly.