Disabled people home adaptations and aids

Self-service online advice tool

The Disabled Living Foundation has created an online advice tool to help you find solutions to your daily living problems.

The AskSARA self-service online advice tool is very simple to use. Just choose the topic you wish to complete, respond to the questions and then go to your report. The report contains useful advice written by the Disabled Living Foundation's team of occupational therapists as well as details of products that might help you. This information is drawn from an impartial database of equipment that aims to include details of every product on the market.

We hope AskSARA can support you to find solutions to some common day to day problems without the need for you to go through a full adult social care assessment.

Equipment to support you with everyday tasks at home

Medequip Logo



Medequip provide the community equipment service for Derby City Council and NHS Derby City. As part of this service, Medequip run an Independent Living Centre which offers a relaxed environment where you can try out equipment in a range of room settings before you buy. A Trusted Assessor is available who is a trained person who can support you in identifying the right piece of equipment to suit your needs in remaining independent.

The centre is located at:

Jubilee Business Park
Stores Road
DE21 4BJ

Telephone: 01332 221780

Download the Medequip leaflet for more information and a map of the centre.

The centre offers a range of equipment from simple safety gadgets such as a kettle tipper or food chopping aid to more sophisticated aids such as a powered bath lift, walker or riser recliner.

Manage at home logo



Medequip also offers an online retail website www.manageathome.co.uk which offers a range of over 3000 items. You can contact customer services on 0800 910 1864 if you wish to discuss your requirements or if you prefer to order over the phone rather than on the website.

All orders valued at £50 or more are delivered free and Medequip aim to deliver in less than five working days.

Visit the Manage At Home website or visit Medequip on Stores Road to have a look at the range of products that really can make life easier.

Returning equipment

If you need to return any piece of equipment that has been issued to you through Medequip, please contact Medequip directly on 01773 604426 and they will arrange for the equipment to be collected from you.

Equipment advice and information

The Disabled Living Foundation has created some factsheets which provide general advice on a range of daily living equipment such as features to look for when choosing equipment, and where to get further information. You can download the factsheets from the Disabled Living Foundation website.

Compliments and complaints

If you have a compliment or complaint about a piece of equipment or the service provided by Medequip, please contact Medequip directly on 01773 604426 or email derbycustomerservice@medequip-uk.com.

Priority support for Power Outages

If you rely on equipment powered by electricity to support your adult social care needs, such as a stairlift, sensor or monitor, you can register with Power Distributors for priority support in the event of a power outage.

You can register for priority support by calling Western Power Distribution on 0845 724 0240 or by completing the online form.


An adaptation is work that requires fixing or some alteration to your home. Minor adaptations can include grab rails or small ramps. Major adaptations can include bathroom alterations, or stair lifts.

How do I get an adaptation?

You can contact us and depending on your circumstances, an Occupational Therapist will get in touch to arrange an assessment to see what could make your day to day living easier.

If you are assessed as needing an adaptation to support you in daily living tasks then the Occupational Therapists will discuss with you how this can be arranged.

How much does it cost?

Minor adaptations

All minor adaptations that you have been assessed as needing are provided free of cost.

Major adaptations

This will depend on the adaptations required to your home and whether you live in your own home or whether it is rented accommodation.

If you live in your own home, we will apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant on your behalf and you will be asked to provide details of your finances. This means that the amount you pay towards the cost of the work will depend on your income.

If you live in rented accommodation, recommendations can be made for adaptations to be made by your landlord. This could be a private landlord, a housing association, or Derby Homes.

How do I get in touch?

Derby Direct is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them on 01332 640777.

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Adult social care
People Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640777
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Service Centre
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street