Essential maintenance

myAccount will be unavailable on Thursday 18 July between 5pm and 7pm due to essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Family entertainment centre licence

To operate a licensed family entertainment centre it will be necessary for the operator to obtain:

  • a gaming machine general licence from the Gambling Commission
  • a family entertainment centre premises licence from us.

An unlimited number of Category C and D gaming machines can be provided. Category C machines must, be located in an 'adult only' area.

An unlicensed family entertainment centre (category D gaming machines only) does not require a gaming machine general licence or premises licence.

However, it does require a family entertainment centre gaming machine permit.

Complete the Unlicensed FEC Machine Permit application form and send this with the relevant payment. Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.

There is no minimum age limit.

Complete the gambling premises new application form and send this with the relevant payment.

The following forms can be used to help prepare your notice of application:

The time taken to process an application depends on each individual application. The time period can range from a minimum of one month up to two months, but this could be longer if appeals are made following a committee hearing.

When an application is submitted, a 28 day statutory consultation period will follow. This allows time for local residents, businesses and responsible authorities to give their responses to the application - known as 'representations'. This is done by considering the three licensing objectives.

If you are posting the application forms, you are required to also serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the responsible authorities on the same day as the application is given to us. If the application is submitted electronically, we will provide copies to the responsible authorities. We can only accept applications for premises within our local authority area.

There is no time limit for a family entertainment centre licence. You will not need to reapply again unless your circumstances change. You must however, pay an annual fee for both your operating licence and your premises licence.

Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.‌