Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19 cases are rising in Derby - read the latest COVID-19 guidance.

Sex shop licence

Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.‌

The law defines the way in which an application is made. You will need to advertise notice of the application in the local press and display a Sex establishment notice outside the premises for a specific time period to give passers by the opportunity to comment by the statutory closing date. You must complete an application form for a Sex establishment application by individual or a Sex establishment application by a company.

When considering an application for a sex establishment licence we may only consider the following criteria;

  • The suitability of the applicant.
  • The location and situation of the premises in relation to other premises in the vicinity.
  • Whether the number of sex establishments in that locality is equal to, or exceeds the number which we consider appropriate for the area.

See our Sex establishment policy for more details.

Our licensing payments page explains how to pay any fees. If you have paid by debit/credit card or by bacs before you have submitted your application form then you must include a copy of your receipt with the application. Any application received without the payment will not be processed.