Civil partnerships

What is a Civil Partnership?Wedding rings

Civil Partnership gives same-sex couples similar legal rights and responsibilities as married couples. Civil partners will:

  • have a duty to provide reasonable maintenance for a civil partner and any children of the family
  • be assessed in the same way as married couples for tax and child support
  • receive equal treatment for life assurance
  • have the same work and pension benefits as married couples
  • be recognised under 'intestacy' rules, that's where no will is made
  • have access to fatal accidents compensation
  • be protected from domestic violence, and
  • be recognised for immigration and nationality purposes.

It is expected with the implementation of the Equal Marriage Act 2013, which became law on 13 March 2014, that few couples will choose civil partnership rather than a marriage ceremony.

How do we register a Civil Partnership?

The arrangements for forming and registering Civil Partnerships aim to mirror those for civil marriage.

The couple must be:

  • of the same sex
  • over 18 - or be able to give proof of consent if 16 or 17

The couple must not be:

  • in an existing marriage or existing Civil Partnership
  • related to each other within the prohibited degrees of relationship.

The registration must take place in the Register Office or premises approved by the Council for civil marriage ceremonies. The Council's registrar must carry out the registration and couples must give 28 clear days notice of their intention to form a civil partnership.

What documents do you need?

We will ask to see:

  • evidence of nationality, age and identity. A passport is ideal, however if this is not available a full birth certificate, with other supporting documents may be accepted
  • proof of residence, such as a bank statement or utility bill
  • a death certificate if you are a widow, widower or former civil partner
  • deed poll, change of name document or statutory declaration if you have changed your name
  • proof of dissolution of marriage or civil partnership such as a divorce decree absolute.

We need to see this documentation by law and are not able to accept photocopies. For more information see our list of required documents

What if I am a foreign (non-EEA) national?

There are special procedures when either partner is a non-EEA (European Economic Area) national who is subject to immigration control. All foreign nationals wishing to form a civil partnership are required to give notice at a designated Register Office unless they have permanent residence in the United Kingdom. Please contact us for further information if either of you are a non-EEA national.

Where can I have a Civil Partnership?

Civil Partnerships can be formed in any building certified for Civil Marriage such as a Register Office or approved premise. Civil Partnerships do not require a ceremony; the signing of a schedule in the presence of two witnesses is all that is required. However a ceremony will be offered to all wishing to form a Civil Partnership in the city of Derby.

How do you arrange a civil partnership?

If you live in the city of Derby, you need to make an appointment with one of our Registrars at Royal Oak House using our simple online booking system. See below for a list of approved premises here a civil partnership may take place.

How much will it cost?

Please see our fees table below for details of charges.

You can get further information about civil partnerships from the Government and Stonewall


Approved venues at which Derby Register Office staff can conduct marriage and Civil Partnership ceremonies:

Cathedral Quarter Hotel, 16 St Mary's Gate, Derby DE1 3JR 01332 546080
The Grange Banqueting Suite, 457 Burton Rd, Derby DE23 6XX 01332 771770
The Holiday Inn, Derby Riverlights, Morledge, Derby DE1 2AY 01332 412520
Silk Mill Museum, Silk Mill Lane, Derby DE1 3AF 01332 641901
Pride Park Stadium, Derby County Football Club, Pride Park, Derby DE24 8XL 01332 667525
Derbyshire County Cricket Club, Nottingham Road, Derby DE21 6DA 01332 388101
Masa Restaurant, The Old Chapel, Brook Street, Derby DE1 3PF 01332 203345
Hallmark Midland Hotel, Midland Road, Derby DE1 2SQ 01332 345894
The West Mill, Darley Abbey Mills, Darley Abbey, Derby DE22 1DZ 01332 229029
Rolls Royce Leisure, The Pavillion, Moor Lane, Derby DE24 9HY 01332 248319
The Georgian House Hotel, Ashbourne Road, Derby DE22 3AD 01332 349806
Derby Conference Centre, London Road, Derby, DE24 8UX 01332 861842
The Stuart Hotel, London Road, Derby DE1 2QR 01332 340633
The Roundhouse, Roundhouse Road, Pride Park, Derby DE24 8JE 01332 334800
The Old Bell Hotel, Sadler Gate, Derby, DE1 3NQ  01332 723090
Derby Museum and Art Gallery, The Strand, Derby DE1 1BS 01332 642227
The Acorn Room, Royal Oak House, Market Place, Derby DE1 3AR 01332 642534
The Oak Room, Royal Oak House, Market Place, Derby, DE1 3AR 01332 642534
The Civic Suite, The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby DE1 2FS - Please note: this venue is not available at the moment

01332 642551

Register Office Fees

Notice of marriage or Civil Partnership £35.00 each


A non-refundable booking fee is payable upon booking any marriage or Civil Partnership. This is deducted from the ceremony fee you are required to pay as long as the marriage takes place in the City of Derby £50.00
A fee to rearrange the date or time of your marriage after notice of marriage is given £20.00
Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Register Office, Royal Oak House (includes one copy certificate) - Maximum four guests. Available Monday to Thursday only £57.00
Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Acorn Room, Royal Oak House (includes one copy certificate) - Monday to Friday. Seating for 22 guests £136.00
Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Acorn Room, Royal Oak House (includes one copy certificate) - Saturday mornings. Seating for 22 guests £161.00
Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Register Office, Oak Room (includes one copy certificate) - Monday – Friday. Seating for 86 guests £211.00
Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Register Office, Oak Room (includes one copy certificate) - Saturday. Seating for 86 guests £261.00
Attendance for marriage or Civil Partnership at approved premises - Monday to Friday (includes one copy certificate) £331.00
Attendance for marriage or Civil Partnership at approved premises - Saturday (includes one copy certificate) £361.00
Attendance for marriage or Civil Partnership at approved premises - Sunday or Bank Holiday (includes one copy certificate) £441.00
Attendance of a Registrar or Civil Partnership Registrar at a Religious Building approved for marriages and Civil Partnerships (includes one copy certificate) £97.00

Opening times

Day Times
Monday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Wednesday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Thursday 9.00am to 4.30pm
Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm
Saturday Ceremonies by appointment only
Sunday Closed

Useful forms

Contact details

Post address:
Customer Service Centre
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 641680
Minicom: 01332 640666
The Council House
Corporation Street