Marriage arrangement and ceremonies
The Marriage Act 1994 permits civil marriages to take place at locations other than registration offices as long as they have been authorised by your local councils.
How do I get married?
To be legally able to marry you must attend the Register Office where you live to give notice of your marriage. If you live in Derby city, you will need to book an appointment with one of our registrars. This will cost £35. You need to make an appointment at Royal Oak House.
- You must have decided where your marriage ceremony will take place as this will be shown on the notice document and cannot be amended. It is also highly recommended that you provisionally book the Registrars to attend your ceremony before giving notice of marriage.
- You must both have lived in the local area for seven whole days prior to giving notice of your marriage.
- Following the expiry of the statutory 28 day notice period the Register Office will issue a certificate to confirm that there is no objection to your marriage. This lasts for one year, excluding the notice period.
- We require some evidence of list of required documents. A passport is ideal, however if this is not available a full birth certificate, or immigration documents if not born in the UK, may be accepted.
- If either person has been married before, they will be required to supply list of required documents.
- list of required documents, such as utility bill, bank statement or driving licence.
- Weddings can normally take place at the Register Office between Monday to Saturday excluding Saturday afternoons.
- To marry in a Church of England church or other registered building, please contact your local parish minister or church representative.
If one of you is from outside the UK and you’re giving notice from 1 July 2021
You and your partner must give notice together, unless you both have one of the following:
- British or Irish citizenship
- settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
- an application to the EU Settlement Scheme that you made before 30 June 2021, which you’re waiting for a decision on.
You must give your notice together at a register office in the district where at least one of you lives.
Further information regarding this change can be found on GOV.UK - Marriages and civil partnerships in England and Wales
A limited number of notice of marriage appointments are now available.
Marriage venues within the Derby city boundaries where Derby Register Office staff can conduct marriage ceremonies can be found in the Venues table.
Please note, when you attend your appointment you will need to pay by debit or credit card as we only accept cash in certain circumstances.
On the day of the wedding - Royal Oak House
Ceremony lengths depend but on average last around 30 minutes.
One bridal car is allowed to park outside the front door on the day. A permit will be issued when the car arrives.
Other guests will need to park using the public car parks - the nearest is in the Assembly Rooms which is only two minutes' walk away.
Approved venues at which Derby Register Office staff can conduct marriage and Civil Partnership ceremonies:
|Cathedral Quarter Hotel, 16 St Mary's Gate, Derby DE1 3JR||01332 546080|
|The Grange Banqueting Suite, 457 Burton Rd, Derby DE23 6XX||01332 771770|
|Derby Museums, Silk Mill Lane, Derby DE1 3AF||01332 641901|
|Derby County Football Club, Pride Park Stadium, Pride Park, Derby DE24 8XL||01332 667525|
|Derbyshire County Cricket Club, Nottingham Road, Derby DE21 6DA||01332 388101|
|Hallmark Midland Hotel, Midland Road, Derby DE1 2SQ||01332 345894|
|The West Mill, Darley Abbey Mills, Darley Abbey, Derby DE22 1DZ||01332 229029|
|Rolls Royce Leisure, The Pavillion, Moor Lane, Derby DE24 9HY||01332 248319|
|The Georgian House Hotel, Ashbourne Road, Derby DE22 3AD||01332 349806|
|Derby Conference Centre, London Road, Derby, DE24 8UX||01332 861842|
|The Stuart Hotel, London Road, Derby DE1 2QR||01332 340633|
|The Old Bell Hotel, Sadler Gate, Derby, DE1 3NQ||01332 723090|
|Derby Museum and Art Gallery, The Strand, Derby DE1 1BS||01332 642227|
|Royal Oak House, Market Place, Derby DE1 3AR||01332 641680|
|The Coach House, 185A Duffield Road, Darley Abbey, Derby, DE22 1JB||01332 554423|
Register Office Fees
|Copy of birth, death or marriage certificates issued at time of registration only||£11.00|
|Notice of marriage or Civil Partnership||£35.00 each|
Consideration of divorce documents outside of the British Isles (local service)
Consideration of divorce documents outside of British Isles (GRO Referral)
Consideration of Correction to a register entry (local service)
Consideration of Correction to a register entry (GRO Referral)
|A non-refundable booking fee is payable upon booking any marriage or Civil Partnership. This is deducted from the ceremony fee you are required to pay as long as the marriage takes place in the City of Derby||£50.00|
|A fee to rearrange the date or time of your marriage after notice of marriage is given||£20.00|
|Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Registration Room, Royal Oak House (includes one copy certificate) - Maximum four guests. Available Monday to Wednesday (AM only)||£57.00|
|Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Acorn Room, Royal Oak House (includes one copy certificate) - Monday to Friday. Seating for 22 guests||£136.00|
|Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Acorn Room, Royal Oak House (includes one copy certificate) - Saturday mornings. Seating for 22 guests||£161.00|
|Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Register Office, Oak Room (includes one copy certificate) - Monday – Friday. Seating for 86 guests||£211.00|
|Marriage or Civil Partnership fee at Register Office, Oak Room (includes one copy certificate) - Saturday. Seating for 86 guests||£261.00|
|Attendance for marriage or Civil Partnership at approved premises - Monday to Friday (includes one copy certificate)||£331.00|
|Attendance for marriage or Civil Partnership at approved premises - Saturday (includes one copy certificate)||£361.00|
|Attendance for marriage or Civil Partnership at approved premises - Sunday or Bank Holiday (includes one copy certificate)||£441.00|
|Attendance of a Registrar or Civil Partnership Registrar at a Religious Building approved for marriages and Civil Partnerships (includes one copy certificate)||£97.00|
|Monday||9 am to 4.30 pm|
|Tuesday||9 am to 4.30 pm|
|Wednesday||9 am to 4.30 pm|
|Thursday||9 am to 4.30 pm|
|Friday||9 am to 4.30 pm|
|Saturday||Ceremonies by appointment only|
If you have a question or comment regarding Marriage arrangement and ceremonies please complete the Marriage arrangement and ceremonies form.