Customer complaints

You can report issues directly to a department without using our formal complaints procedure. This is often the quickest way to get your issue resolved.

Complaints that are dealt with differently:

For schools and Derby Homes complaints, we have a separate complaints procedure, please contact us for further information.

Full details can be found in the Customer Feedback Policy below.

How do I make a complaint?

If you have already tried to resolve your issue with the relevant department, you can make a formal complaint.


The easiest way to make a complaint is online.


Alternatively, you can complete the paper complaints form and return it in the post to Derby City Council, The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby, DE1 2FS. There are also paper complaints forms available in our reception area.

Telephone and minicom

You can telephone 01332 640000. For hearing-impaired people who wish to use the telephone as a method to contact us, our minicom number is 01332 640666.

In person

You can also visit our offices and speak to one of our customer services advisers.

How we deal with complaints

Stage 1: Investigation

When we receive your formal complaint, we will ask the department to investigate your complaint. We aim to provide a full response within ten working days, or 20 if your complaint relates to social care or services for children and young people with special needs and disabilities.

Stage 2: Appeal

If you are unhappy with the response, you can write and tell us why you are dissatisfied with the investigation and ask us to reconsider.

We will then ask a manager who has not been involved in your complaint to review it to make sure that the initial investigation was carried out properly and effectively. We aim to provide a full response within 20 working days. Please note, there is no stage 2 appeal for adult social care complaints; customers unhappy with our stage one response for an Adult Social Care complaint will be directed to the Local Government Ombudsman, in line with the Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service complaints (England) Regulations 2009.

Stage 3: Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

If you are still unhappy with the result and wish to take your complaint further, you can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman and ask them to review your complaint.

The Ombudsman is a free, independent service that looks into complaints about councils.


Contact details

Post address:
Customer Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 643498
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Services
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street