Adult Social Care Complaints

If your concern relates to the safety of a person, you can report your concerns to our Safeguarding Adults Team.

You can make a complaint by:

  • using the online complaints form at the bottom of the page
  • using the 'Have your say' forms, available from all Council receptions – an easy read form as well as the 'Have your say' form are available at the bottom of the page.
  • post, using the address at the bottom of the page
  • telephoning the Council using the telephone number at the bottom of the page
  • visiting the Council house and speaking to one of our Customer Service advisors.

When dealing with your formal complaint we will:

  • listen to the specific complaint(s) you want us to investigate
  • agree and confirm who will investigate and respond to your complaint(s)
  • agree an action plan detailing how and when you can expect a response
  • agree an outcome with you

We will aim to respond to you within 20 working days of receiving your complaint, however, in more complicated cases we may need a little more time to investigate further. We will agree this extension with you. We will also ask the person investigating your complaint to contact you and talk to you about your concerns, both during and after the investigation.

If you are not satisfied with our response you have the right to ask the Local Government Ombudsman to consider your complaint(s). However, we will also, with your agreement, continue to resolve your complaint with you. This may involve a more senior manager examining the issues or an external consultant may investigate your complaint in more detail. If you agree to this option you should be sent a response within 45 working days.

If you remain dissatisfied with the second attempt to resolve your complaint(s) you can still submit your complaint to the Ombudsman. In addition to this you may choose to ask us to consider the complaint at a more senior level (usually a Director). You have other rights within the complaints process as well as our complaint procedures. You can contact your local Councillor, Member of Parliament, Solicitor and in some circumstances, the Secretary of State of Health.

We hope that you will come to Adult Social Care and give us the opportunity to listen to you and resolve your complaint quickly and efficiently.

What support is available for me to make a complaint?

If you feel you need support when making a complaint about Adult Social Care, you can appoint an advocate to discuss your complaint with us on your behalf. The following organisations can provide an advocacy service for you:

Complaining to the Local Government Ombudsman

If you have been through all stages of our complaints procedure and are still unhappy, you can ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to review your complaint.

The Ombudsman investigates complaints in a fair and independent way - it does not take sides. It is a free service.

The Ombudsman expects you to have given us chance to deal with your complaint, before you contact them. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable time, it may decide to look into your complaint anyway. This is usually up to 12 weeks but can be longer for social care complaints that follow a statutory process.

About the Ombudsman

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman is the final stage for complaints about councils and some other organisations providing local public services. It also investigates complaints about all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) for people who self-fund their care.

Contact the Ombudsman

  • Website:
  • Telephone: 0300 061 0614
  • Text 'call back' to 0762 481 1595
  • Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm (except public holidays)


Contact details

e-form: Complaint form
Post address:
Customer Feedback
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 643498
Minicom: 01332 640666
Customer Feedback
The Council House
Corporation Street