Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19 cases are rising in Derby - read the latest COVID-19 guidance.

Alcohol and entertainment

The Licensing Act 2003 requires us to review our policy every five years.

The are four 'licensing objectives' of the Licensing Act 2003 which are:

  1. the prevention of crime and disorder
  2. public safety
  3. the prevention of public nuisance
  4. the protection of children from harm.

Under the Licensing Act 2003 you will need a licence for 'licensable activities'. These are to:

  • sell or supply of alcohol
  • provide entertainment or entertainment facilities - known as 'regulated entertainment'
  • sell hot food or drinks between 11pm and 5am - known as 'late night refreshments'.


You need a licence to:

  • sell alcohol, including in wholesale quantities to the public
  • supply alcohol to members of a club.

Regulated entertainment and entertainment facilities

If carried out in front of an audience, you will need a licence for:

There are certain exemptions in regard to some activities, further details can be accessed from Exemptions for premises licence and club premises certificates.

Late night refreshment

You need a licence to provide hot food or hot drink between 11pm and 5am. Premises could include mobile food sellers, such as a burger van.

All application forms relating to the Licensing Act 2003 have been prescribed by central government. The forms are available on the following pages:

  • Premises licences
  • Club premises certificates
  • Personal licences (associated with the sale of alcohol)
  • Temporary event notices (for occasional events involving less than 500 people)
  • Information relating to both premises licenses and club premises certificates

You will need to complete the relevant application form. 

We may use the information provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. We also share this information for auditing purposes.

If posting or handing in the application form(s) (except minor variations) at our reception you are required to also serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the responsible authorities on the same day as the application is given to us. If the application is submitted electronically, we will provide copies to the responsible authorities. We can only accept applications for premises within our local authority area.

Any business buying alcohol from a UK wholesaler for onward supply to their customers will need to check that their wholesaler has been approved by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) under the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS). For further information see the HM Revenue and Customs factsheet.

The time taken to process an application depends on each individual application. The time period can range from a minimum of one month up to two months, but this could be longer if appeals are made following a committee hearing.

When an application is submitted, a 28 day statutory consultation period will follow. This allows time for local residents, businesses and responsible authorities to give their responses to the application - known as 'representations'. This is done by considering the four licensing objectives.

The Licensing Section has a Guide for Licensing Enforcement that explains the approach we take on the enforcement of licensing legislation and licence conditions. We also carry out inspections to ensure that standards are maintained at licensed premises.

If you are planning to hold a street party, please contact Derby Live as you will need to apply for a road closure.

The Government have also published guidance for organising a street party.

Information on planning an event can be found on the Derbyshire Prepared website.

We have also published guidance on hiring other outdoor spaces.

Yes, there is a Cumulative Impact Policy in place in the city. See our Licensing Policy for further details.