Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19 cases are rising in Derby - read the latest COVID-19 guidance.

Club premises certificates

A club can have a Premises Licence instead of, or as well as, a Club Premises Certificate. The advantage of having a Premises Licence is that members of the public may be admitted to take part in licensable activities, instead of just members and guests. Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.

Qualifying clubs may apply for a Club Premises Certificate instead of a Premises Licence. This offers several benefits, including not having to nominate a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) or have a Personal Licence holder for the sale or supply of alcohol. 

A qualifying club:

  • has a constitution and a set of club rules
  • has a minimum of 25 members
  • only supplies alcohol to, or on behalf of, a member
  • must have a 48 hour waiting period for membership
  • is managed by a committee.

It is now possible for community, church, chapel and village halls to apply to remove the conditions in which it states that they must have a Designated Premises Supervisor(DPS) who is a Personal Licence holder to authorise every supply of alcohol.  They can replace it by naming the management committee as responsible for the supply of alcohol. 

You must complete:

If you are posting the application forms (except minor variations), you are required to also serve a copy of the application, including the accompanying documentation, to the Responsible Authorities on the same day as the application is given to us. If the application is submitted electronically, we will provide copies to the Responsible Authorities. We can only accept applications for premises within our local authority area.

Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.

If the annual fee is not paid your Club Premises Certificate will be suspended until the payment has been paid. This means you will not be able to open to provide licensable activities. Carrying out unlicensed licensable activities carries a penalty of an unlimited fine and up to six months imprisonment on conviction.

Any business buying alcohol from a UK wholesaler for onward supply to their customers will need to check that their wholesaler has been approved by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) under the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS). For further information see the HM Revenue and Customs factsheet.