Derby's Youth Mayor
The role of the Youth Mayor is to represent young people and Derby City Council at events across the city and support the Mayor where appropriate.
Who are Derby's Youth Mayor and Deputy Youth Mayor?
This year's Derby Youth Mayor is Connie Spencer and the Deputy Youth Mayor is Priya Gill
They were elected on 24 February 2020 and will be in office for two years.
Closing date for applications for the next Youth Mayor and Deputy Youth Mayor is Friday 08 October 2021.
What is the role of the Youth Mayor?
The Youth Mayor and Deputy Youth Mayor help to raise awareness of the positive contribution young people make to our city and ensure their voices are heard.
Their role is to represent the voice of children and young people at:
- the Council Cabinet
- Children and Young people Scrutiny
- public events.
They also chair Voices in Action Youth Council meetings and attend schools across the city to hear the voice of other children and young people in the city.
Throughout their term of office, the Youth Mayor and Deputy Youth Mayor attend events and engagements that raise the profile of issues that matter to young people in Derby. To invite the Youth Mayor and Deputy Youth Mayor to an event, please complete the booking form. While it is not possible to accept every request that is received, we aim to respond to all bookings within 14 days.
Who can stand as Youth Mayor?
Any young person can stand for Youth Mayor as long as they:
- live in Derby
- are between the ages of 11-19 or up to 25 if you are a disabled young person
- have the permission of their parent/carer and school/college/training provider.
How do I apply to stand for Youth Mayor?
Application for Youth Mayor is through your school.
Three application forms from each school are short listed to one candidate by a selection panel including the current Youth Mayor and Deputy Youth Mayor.
It is the decision of each Secondary School which three candidates can submit their application forms.
How does the voting take place?
- Selected candidates deliver a five minute speech and the Voices in Action Youth Council vote for who they feel should progress.
- A videos of the speeches for the final candidates is shown in schools, where each student is given a ballot paper to vote for the candidate of their choice.
- The votes are then counted by Derby City Council.
The announcement of this year's Youth Mayor and Deputy Youth Mayor took take place on 24 February 2020.