Why use washable nappies
Babies typically need their nappy changing 5,000 times in roughly 2.5 years.
If you’re thinking of ditching the disposables for an option that’s kinder to your baby, your pocket and the planet then washable nappies might be a good choice. We even offer a cashback incentive to help you with the costs.
What are the benefits of washable nappies?
- they’re made from natural materials and don't use chemicals or gels
- nappies made from bamboo fibre are up to 60% more absorbent than cotton
- babies who use washable nappies tend to become potty-trained quicker than those who use disposable ones
- you can buy washable nappies made in adjustable sizes, so you can use the same one no matter what size your baby is
- there is no connection between washable nappies and nappy rash.
Are washable nappies more expensive?
Although initial costs are more expensive (around £200 and up), in the long run you could save more than £1000 by using washable nappies. That includes washing costs.
Are washable nappies more hassle than disposable ones?
Many of us think of washable or 'cloth' nappies as being DIY; that you have to fold them up yourself and wrestle with a safety pin to keep them in place. Nowadays, washable nappies are much simpler than that.
The average washable nappy is fastened with poppers or velcro. When the nappy has been worn, you can store it in a secure box before washing it. Some people like to use this box to soak them in a solution of water and tea tree or lavender oil. They then go in the washing machine - alongside your other laundry.
How do I dry a washable nappy?
You can dry washed nappies on your washing line - or however you would air-dry your other laundry. Putting washable nappies in a tumble drier could reduce their absorbancy, so it is best to dry them naturally.
Where can I find more information?
The Derby Sling and Cloth Nappy Library has a great blog you can read which explains all the different types of washable nappies and how they work. They also offer demonstrations to help you get the most out of your nappies.
We have also published a list of Washable nappy stockists.
Washable nappies cashback scheme
All Derby residents who buy washable nappies can benefit from our cashback scheme. We offer £25 cashback when you spend over £50 on washable nappies.
Where to buy
Real nappies can be purchased on the internet. There are many websites devoted to selling nappies, some websites also offer impartial advice to help in choosing a nappy for you and your baby.
- Baba+Boo - A planet-friendly baby store specialising in cloth nappies. They design other waste saving products for your baby
- Babi Pur - Ethical shop for babies and children
- Bambino Mio - Bambino Mio are the most widely used reusable cloth nappy brand in the UK! Award-winning range of products are loved by parents all over the world
- Cariad Babi - A not-for-profit local eco-store supplying a range of eco-products including cloth nappies. Cariad Babi also provide cloth nappy consultation sessions and nappy hire kits
- Cloth Nappy Shop - Buy reusable nappies and all the accessories from Cloth Nappy Shop as well as advice on the best washable nappies to use
- Earthlets - A wide choice of natural, chemical-free and eco-friendly mother and baby essentials
- EcoNaps - Soft and sustainable, plastic neutral cloth nappies that perform well and fit comfortably
- Fill Your Pants - UK store for all your reusable nappy needs! Find GroVia, Smartipants, Charlie Banana, Bambino Mio, Milovia, Tots Bots and more
- Little Lamb Nappies - Beautiful, baby-soft reusable nappies, in a choice of fabrics
- The Nappy Gurus - Their online shop has a range of cloth nappies, eco-friendly products, period pants and more. Their expert team also provide advice and support.
- The Nappy Lady - Reusable nappies and real nappy accessories. Washable nappy advice
- The Washable Nappy Company - Provide reusable nappies, swim nappies, rocking green and more
- Tots Bots - Award-winning, UK designer and manufacturer of reusable nappies and accessories. Buy cloth nappies, liners and more
- Twinkle on the Web - Cloth nappies, advice, choosing and using washable nappies, great prices and special offers