What is fair trading?
The law protects consumers and traders from traders carrying out unfair and illegal trading practices, including:
- aggressive sales practices, for example cold calling and refusing to leave when asked
- refusing to honour consumer rights
- selling counterfeit goods
- using misleading descriptions
- unfinished, poor quality building work
- misleading pricing.
The law also says, in some circumstances, a consumer has the right to cancel a sale and get a full refund if the sale was carried out:
- face-to-face in the consumer’s home
- over the phone
- from a catalogue.
Where can I find more information?
The following articles are published by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute and are designed to inform traders about what they need to do to trade fairly: