Housing benefit - change of circumstances

If your circumstances change you must tell us about it straight away as this could affect the amount of benefit that you are entitled to. Telling us straight away avoids any overpayment of benefit which you may be asked to repay.


What are the time limits?

The time limit for reporting a change in circumstance is one calendar month from the date of change. If you are late in reporting the change in your circumstances you could lose benefit.

Here are some of the changes that you should tell us about:

  • Changes to your income or the income for anyone who lives with you
  • Someone moving in or out of your house
  • If you move address (this includes moving flats or rooms in the same building)
  • Your Tax Credit changes
  • Any of your children leave school
  • If you or your partner stop receiving Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Pension Credit
  • Changes to the amount of rent that you are charged
  • If you or someone who lives with you starts work
  • If your child care payments change, or end, or if you start to pay for child care for the first time.  

These are only examples of the changes you need to tell us about, it is not a full list.

If you are not sure if you need to tell us about the change or need to know how your benefit will be affected by a change contact us.

How do I notify you about a change?

If you have already registered your email address with Derby Benefits, the following changes can be notified by email:

  • the date you moved into or out of your property
  • the dates of birth of any of your household members
  • if you would like to withdraw or cancel your claim
  • details of any of your children leaving the household.

You can register your email address on your application form or other signed correspondence. Alternatively, you can call Derby Benefits on 01332 640444.

For all other changes in circumstance, we will need signed confirmation of the change.

  • For changes in income, complete our Benefits Change of Income Form and provide the proof that we ask for on the form
  • For other changes, tell us about the change in writing and provide proof
  • Speak to Derby Benefits on 01332 640444 if you need advice.

If you have proof of the change then you need to send this to us. If you don't have the proof yet, tell us about the change anyway and let us know when you expect to receive it.

  • You can post forms and proof into the post box in our reception area at the Council House, or post to us by Royal Mail - please make sure that you tell us your reference number or name and address. Your original documents will be returned to your home address by second class post
  • You can book an appointment to see a Benefit Adviser at the Council House; please contact us if you would like to book an appointment.
  • You can take evidence to a drop off service at the Council House - this is open from 9am to 3pm .You cannot get any benefit advice from this service but you can hand in documents, have your original documents photocopied whilst you wait and get a receipt
  • You can take forms and original documents to any Local Housing Office. Please check locally for opening times, as these are subject to change
  • Please do not post original identification documents to us. We recommend that you take these to a Local Housing Office for verification, use the document drop service at the Council House, or book an appointment to see an adviser at the Council House.

I'm starting work, how do I apply for an extended payment?

If you have been in continuous receipt of any of benefits listed below for 26 weeks immediately before you start work you may be entitled to an extended payment. You can tell us by email if you want to apply. Please let us know how long you expect your new job to last.

Qualifying benefits include:

  • Income Support  
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance  
  • Contributions-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Contributions-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit  
  • Severe Disablement Allowance.  

I'm moving house, what do I need to tell you?

If there is no break between your tenancies and you are moving within Derby City Council boundaries, please download and complete our Benefits Change of Address Form. If you rent your new home, we will need to see proof of your new tenancy.

Useful forms


Contact details

Post address:
Derby Benefits
Customer Service Centre
The Council House
Corporation Street
Phone: 01332 640444
Minicom: 01332 640666
Derby Benefits
Customer Service Centre
The Council House
Corporation Street