Information about how the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic affects taxi operators is available on our Coronavirus: Licensing updates page.
We are currently experiencing a large number of telephone calls into the service with queries.
If you need to contact us, please email your query to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you still feel you need to leave a telephone answer message, please note that we will prioritise your call and may not be able to respond to you if your enquiry could be resolved by visiting the website or if it relates to information set out in your renewal pack.
If you invite and accept bookings for a private hire vehicle you must have a private hire operator's licence.
Your operating base must be within the city boundary and the private hire vehicles and private hire drivers you send work to, must also be licensed by us.
Once licensed you must comply with the Private Hire Operator Licence Conditions.
We recommend you check to see if you need planning permission by emailing the Council's Planning Team at email@example.com.
Fees are currently charged per vehicle and each licence lasts for five years. Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.
As from 1 July 2017, in order to ensure all individual applicants are ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence we require:
- a completed Private Hire Operator Application Form
- an enhanced criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) for each individual applicant, or individuals that form a partnership for new and renewal applications. For applications from a company for an operator's licence, a DBS check is not required. View the DBS guidance notes
- a check on the applicants’ immigration status, including their Right to Work for individual applicants, and individuals that form a partnership for new and renewal applications. For company applications for an operators’ licence, an immigration check is not required. Download a list of Home Office Acceptable Documents
Disclosure and Barring Service criminal record check forms have a unique number and cannot be downloaded from our website. They are available from the Licensing Booth in the Council House.
Bring your completed application form, together with a completed DBS form, your relevant documents for your DBS check, your immigration status and Right to Work to the Council House.
You will need to provide all the listed requirements, if necessary, before a licence will be considered.
As an existing licence holder you will receive a renewal reminder approximately three months before your licence expires. You will need to provide a list of vehicles and drivers that are associated with your operation at the time of submitting your renewal application.
Your licence will not be issued on the day of submitting your renewal. Please allow up to 10 working days for your renewal application to be processed. It is your responsibility to apply in plenty of time to renew your licence.
Before an operator licence is granted or renewed you or a representative of your company, such as director will need to have completed the mandatory safeguarding course. Please see Safeguarding Training Dates for further details.
The next scheduled meetings are listed below. Please note the cut-off date for the receipt of agenda items and statements or supporting information. The meetings will be held at the Council House starting at 10am. Details of the Terms of Reference for the Taxi Licensing Trade Meetings be downloaded.
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda January 2019
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda October 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda August 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda June 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda March 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda December 2017
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes December 2020
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes January 2019
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes October 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes August 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes June 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes March 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes December 2017
The Licensing Team is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use our services. Please view Licensing Team Privacy Notices for further information. Printed copies are available on request.
Licensing Office opening times
Not available at this time.