Information on how coronavirus is affecting taxi drivers is available on our Coronavirus: Licensing updates page.
If you need to renew your taxi driving licence you can now do this online. You will need to register and login to use this service.
Please note: We are no longer including an application form in your renewal pack. Please read the renewal letter that you have received which sets out clearly what you need to do.
We issue a combined hackney and private hire driver licence (dual) and a private hire driver licences. They are normally issued for three years.
We have a duty to issue licences to ‘fit and proper’ persons.
As from 1 July 2017 taxi licensing has changed, please see Frequently Asked Questions for queries about training and fees. We now operate the Derby Penalty Point Scheme. Points will be determined at the point of a new application, or at the point of renewal, or if the Licensing Team is notified of a change in circumstances.
In order to ensure all applicants are ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence we require:
- a completed Driver Application Form
- an enhanced criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and subscription to the Online Update Service. Link to DBS Acceptable Documents and link to DBS On-line Update Service guidance notes. DBS certificates may be obtained from a third party organisation, please read Third Party Disclosure and Barring Certificates. Please read the Council's guidance on Storage, Handling, Retention, Disposal of DBS Certification
- a medical examination from your own GP that proves the person meets the requirements of the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency Group 2 medical for vocational drivers. Please download a Medical Form for more information
- successful completion of the Derby City Knowledge test. Download Knowledge Test Guidance Notes for more information
- successful completion of a practical driving test aimed specifically at taxi driving. Dual licence applicants will need to pass the advanced test that includes the safe transportation of wheelchair passengers. Download a List of Driving Test Providers
- a check on the applicants’ immigration status, including their Right to Work. Download a list of Home Office Acceptable Documents for more information
- successful completion of the Council’s course in Safeguarding Awareness. Current Safeguarding Training Dates the cost is £30 per person. You may find Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation Information Sheet for Drivers useful
- dual licence applicants will also need to complete the Derby City Practical Driving Test, please see Derby City Practical Driving Test Guidance for more information
- if you are not a United Kingdom (UK) national and have not lived within the UK for at least five years, you will need to obtain a certificate of Good Conduct from the relevant national embassy
- one passport sized photo.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have held a full UK or European drivers’ licence for at least 12 months.
Disclosure and Barring Service criminal record check forms have a unique number and cannot be downloaded from our website. They are available from the Licensing Booth in the Council House.
As from 1 July 2017 we will use the Derby Penalty Point Scheme when assessing a persons’ suitability to be granted a licence or to continue to hold a licence. You are advised to read the Penalty Point Scheme before you apply.
Complete a Driver Application Form. If you do not have access to a computer or printer, you can use the public computers in any of the Council's libraries. Bring the completed form to the Council House with your current driving licence and a completed DBS form, together with the acceptable documents and those needed for your immigration status/right to work check.
You can then book onto the knowledge test and the safeguarding awareness course, but you are advised to wait until you have received your DBS certificate. The Knowledge Test Scheduled Dates and Safeguarding Training Dates are subject to availability.
You will need to provide all the required documents, including a passport sized photograph before a licence will be considered and pay the correct fees. Our licensing payments page explains what fees apply and how to pay them.
Once granted you must complete the National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 2 Certificate in Road Passenger Vehicle Driving (Taxi and Private Hire) within 12 months, there are several local Training Providers.
Once granted you will be expected to comply with licence conditions:
As an existing licence holder you will receive a renewal reminder approximately three months before your licence expires.
Your licence will not be issued on the day of submitting your renewal. Please allow up to 10 working days for your renewal application to be processed. It is your responsibility to apply in plenty of time to renew your licence.
If you would like to apply for an exemption please complete the appropriate form:
Please email completed application forms to the Licensing Team.
If you are interested in getting a licence to drive a stretched limousine with eight seats or less, or to drive a tuk-tuk please email the Licensing Team at email@example.com.
The next scheduled meetings are listed below. Please note the cut-off date for the receipt of agenda items and statements or supporting information. The meetings will be held at the Council House starting at 10am. Details of the Terms of Reference for the Taxi Licensing Trade Meetings be downloaded.
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda January 2019
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda October 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda August 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda June 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda March 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Agenda December 2017
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes December 2020
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes January 2019
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes October 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes August 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes June 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes March 2018
- Taxi Trade Meeting Minutes December 2017
The Licensing Team is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use our services. Please view Licensing Team Privacy Notices for further information. Printed copies are available on request.
Licensing Office opening times
Not available at this time.