A Child Missing from Education (CME) is defined by the Department for Education (DfE) as "a child of compulsory school age who is not on a school roll, nor being educated otherwise". This is in line with CME Guidelines 2016
Children Missing Education are:
- Not on a school roll.
- Not being educated in a school or anywhere else.
- Identified as being out of Education for over 20 school days.
Children Missing Education are not:
- Children who are on roll of a school but are not in regular attendance. If a child is not attending their registered School or Education provider, the school's attendance policy should be followed.
- Children who are being Electively home Educated (EHE).
- Children whose parent/carer has applied for a school place, and the application is being dealt with by the Admissions procedure.
How do I refer a CME?
Anyone can refer a child as CME. If you are a member of the public or a professional working within the City you can contact us on:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 01332 641448
- Address: Education Welfare Service, Locality 3 / 4 Ashtree House, Council House, Corporation Street, Derby, DE1 2FS
If you are a professional working in an external Authority and believe this child has moved into the City, please complete the following form.