Children Missing Education (CME)

A Child Missing from Education (CME) is defined by the Department for Education (DfE) as "a child of compulsory school age who is not on a school roll, nor being educated otherwise". This is in line with CME Guidelines 2016.

Children Missing from Education are:

  • not on a school roll
  • not being educated in a school or anywhere else
  • identified as being out of education for over 20 school days.

Children Missing from Education are not:

  • children who are on roll of a school but are not in regular attendance. If a child is not attending their registered school or education provider, the school's attendance policy should be followed
  • children who are being Electively Home Educated (EHE)
  • children whose parent/carer has applied for a school place, and the application is being dealt with by the admissions procedure.

How do I refer a CME?

Anyone can refer a child as CME. If you are a member of the public or a professional working within the city, you can contact us on:

Telephone: 01332 641448
Address: Education Welfare Service, Locality 3/4 Ashtree House, The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby, DE1 2FS

If you are a professional working in an external authority and believe this child has moved into the city, please complete an online referral.

On this page: